The Assignment Editor is responsible for guiding the news day and executng the editorial process, and directing news operations in the field. Ensuring that all active assignments are reflected in this system.
- Read in and have an overview of sports updates through all available sources (news wires, other agencies, newspapers, etc.).
- Participate in the editorial meeting and propose ideas on what news stories need more coverage and content development.
- Screen the reports received from the reporters and review packages and make changes or adjustments if needed.
- Commission stories and assign tasks to the news teams.
- Coordinate with the satellite desk to book satellite time and space.
- Coordinate with the bureaus and with the reporters.
- Coordinate with the interview desk to ensure proper arrangements are in place for required guests.
- Perform other duties relevant to the job as requested.
- Writing skills
- Editorial skills
- Presentation skills
- Multitasking skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Logistical skills
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Journalism, Media, Communication or other related fields.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in TV or related fields with in-field reporting and journalism experience.
Experience running a large news desk operation is essential. Field news production experience is an asset.